Ooo, rusks! Lyndsay from Lulubelle’s Bakes has shared her beloved Buttermilk Pecan Rusks recipe with us!
Thank you, lovely Lyndsay! What a great, nutty spin on a South African favourite.
- Flavour Nation Crew
- 1.5 kg cake flour
- 9 tsp baking powder (heaped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 g butter or baking margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups castor oil
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup chopped pecan nuts (optional)
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Roughly chop nuts.
- Beat butter till soft; Whisk eggs together then add your buttermilk and vanilla essence; add this mixture to your butter and beat until blended.
- Mix flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, add nuts and knead well until firm dough is formed. If it is easier, once the dough starts to come together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until all ingredients are combined and a firm dough is formed.
- Grease a large baking tray and flatten the dough into the tray with a rolling pin (about 2cm in height).
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool off in tray on cooling rack. Once cool, cut into slices.
- Arrange slices on two baking trays and pop back in the over at 100 degrees for about 5 hours with the door slightly open (use a wooden spoon in the door). Switch off your oven and leave the trays in with the door closed overnight.